我们小区后面有一个湖。
Wǒmen xiǎoqū hòumiàn yǒu yī gè hú.
There is a lake behind our neighborhood.

The Winter Swimmers. 29 sentences you can read in full today. Audio for the whole shelf lands with the full library.
我们小区后面有一个湖。
Wǒmen xiǎoqū hòumiàn yǒu yī gè hú.
There is a lake behind our neighborhood.
冬天,湖面上结了一层冰。
Dōngtiān, hú miàn shàng jié le yī céng bīng.
In winter the lake is covered with a layer of ice.
每天早上六点,有一群老人来到湖边。
Měi tiān zǎoshang liù diǎn, yǒu yī qún lǎorén lái dào hú biān.
Every morning at six, a group of old people comes to the lake.
他们打开冰面,下去游泳。
Tāmen dǎkāi bīng miàn, xiàqù yóuyǒng.
They break the ice and get in to swim.
年纪最大的已经七十八岁了。
Niánjì zuì dà de yǐjīng qī shí bā suì le.
The oldest of them is already seventy eight.
我早上跑步的时候常看见他们。
Wǒ zǎoshang pǎobù de shíhou cháng kànjiàn tāmen.
I often see them during my morning run.
我站在湖边都觉得冷。
Wǒ zhàn zài hú biān dōu juéde lěng.
Just standing by the lake makes me feel cold.
他们却在水里笑。
Tāmen què zài shuǐ lǐ xiào.
Yet they laugh in the water.
那笑声大得老远就能听见。
Nà xiào shēng dà de lǎo yuǎn jiù néng tīngjiàn.
Their laughter was so loud you could hear it from far away.
有一天,队长老张问我,敢不敢试试?
Yǒu yī tiān, duìzhǎng lǎo zhāng wèn wǒ, gǎn bù gǎn shì shì?
One day the leader, Old Chen, asked me if I dared to try.
我看了看水,说不行。
Wǒ kàn le kàn shuǐ, shuō bùxíng.
I looked at the water and said no way.
老张说,我六十五岁才开始。
Lǎo zhāng shuō, wǒ liù shí wǔ suì cái kāishǐ.
Old Chen said, I only started at sixty five.
这十几年,我没有感冒过一次。
Zhè shí jǐ nián, wǒ méiyǒu gǎnmào guò yī cì.
In all these years I have not caught a single cold.
第二天早上,我真的去了。
Dì èr tiān zǎoshang, wǒ zhēn de qù le.
The next morning I really went.
水冷得我一下去就想出来。
Shuǐ lěng de wǒ yíxià qù jiù xiǎng chūlái.
The water was so cold that I wanted to get out the moment I got in.
老张在旁边喊,数到五十再出来。
Lǎo zhāng zài pángbiān hǎn, shù dào wǔ shí zài chūlái.
Old Chen shouted beside me, count to fifty before you come out.
我数到了三十。
Wǒ shù dào le sān shí.
I made it to thirty.
上来以后,身上反而热了。
Shànglái yǐhòu, shēn shàng fǎn’ér rè le.
After I got out, my body actually felt warm.
我的手和脚都是红的。
Wǒ de shǒu hé jiǎo dōu shì hóng de.
My hands and feet were all red.
那种舒服,我说不清楚。
Nà zhǒng shūfu, wǒ shuō bù qīngchu.
I cannot put that good feeling into words.
老人们都为我拍手。
Lǎorén men dōu wèi wǒ pāi shǒu.
The old people all clapped for me.
还递给我一碗热茶。
Hái dì gěi wǒ yī wǎn rè chá.
And they handed me a cup of hot tea.
那天我明白了,他们为什么天天来。
Nà tiān wǒ míngbai le, tāmen wèi shénme tiān tiān lái.
That day I understood why they come every single day.
不是因为不怕冷。
Bù shì yīnwèi bù pà lěng.
It is not that they are not afraid of the cold.
是因为出来以后的那种暖和。
Shì yīnwèi chūlái yǐhòu de nà zhǒng nuǎnhuo.
It is the warmth you feel after coming out.
更是因为湖边有一群人在等你。
Gèng shì yīnwèi hú biān yǒu yī qún rén zài děng nǐ.
And even more, it is the group of people waiting for you by the lake.
这个冬天,是我跟他们游的第三个冬天。
Zhège dōngtiān, shì wǒ gēn tāmen yóu de dì sān gè dōngtiān.
This winter is my third winter swimming with them.
我还是怕冷。
Wǒ háishi pà lěng.
I am still afraid of the cold.
可是每天早上,我都去。
Kěshì měi tiān zǎoshang, wǒ dōu qù.
But every morning, I go.
How old is the oldest swimmer?
What did Old Chen say about himself?
What did the writer count to on his first try?
Why do the old people come every day, according to the writer?
Nice reading. The bird saw everything.